Tuesday, June 3, 2008

More adventures...

Monday: We got the morning off to recover from our grueling trek to the Great Wall. We had our usual language lesson and then went to Ya Xiu clothing market. It's a typical American tourist trap where they jack up the prices for counterfeit items. The group split up into different factions and the group I went with ate at a restaurant chosen at random. It turned out to be very good. We went back and tried to laundry.

Tuesday: More language and culture...I wasn't a big fan of the culture class. The presenter simply read off the Powerpoint slides. Tom and I met two of my lab mates for lunch. It was excellent (and expensive, 212 RMB). Dr. Coppola drug us to a U. Michigan alumni event that evening. They had great food and I even got my picture taken with Lloyd Carr (football coach from 1995-2007). He actually knew where my school was; he's from the Tri-Cities (where I live).

We'll be moving into another apartment next door tomorrow. I'm also booked on a weekend expedition to Xi'an to see the Terracotta soldiers.

No comments: