Sunday, June 29, 2008

Coming Soon: Live from Shenzhen/HK?

So Prof. Shi asked both Tom and I if we wanted to move with the group to Shenzhen in a couple weeks. That sounded interesting...but there's a few wrinkles involved. Shenzhen is across the river from Hong Kong, so I would be quite inclined to go visit my relatives there. I also don't know any Cantonese, so I wouldn't know how to ask for stuff (they don't speak Mandarin there). Then I would need the plane ticket changed to fly back to the U.S. from Hong Kong OR get a new visa to return to Beijing and fly home that way. I'm awaiting the opinion of Dr. Coppola before I make any decisions...but Tom and I are interested in going. Stay tuned to this breaking story...

7/3 UPDATE: Prof. Shi decided not to take us after all because of safety concerns, which is probably a good idea. So we'll be hanging out in Beijing until we return home.

No comments: