Wednesday, July 2, 2008

An interesting turn...

So the hydrolysis that my grad student said should have worked actually failed miserably. So now we're on a real detective hunt to find the right conditions to obtain our desired product. We are adjusting both temperature and the molarity of the acid to see if either give us our desired product in a good yield. So it will be interesting to see what I find.

In other news...my professor pulled the plug on my planned move to Shenzhen for safety reasons. It makes sense since I wouldn't be able to reach the folks running our program too easily. I would pretty much have to rely on the embassies in Guangzhou/Hong Kong to save me if something bad happened. So I'll just stay in Beijing and work until the 20th or so. Then we may travel around somewhere if we can go somewhere cheaply enough, like Shanghai.

No comments: